Vitamin C is a water-soluble vitamin.
- Makes and maintains healthy connective tissue.
- Helps wounds heal and repairs body tissues.
- Helps the absorption of iron from the intestines.
- Protects the body; it is an antioxidant.
- Oranges, blackcurrants, broccoli, potatoes, red and green peppers, strawberries, brussels sprouts, tomatoes.
A severe deficiency is called scurvy. It is very rare but symptoms include: swollen gums, severe joint pains and new wounds may fail to heal.
Too much can cause stomach pain and diarrhoea.