Coagulation is when the protein in food sets. This occurs when protein is heated. Heated protein foods will coagulate in different ways.
Meat & poultry:
- Meat proteins shrink as they coagulate.
- Heating meat proteins in a liquid will change the structure of the muscle fibres.
- Proteins will shrink as they coagulate.
- Egg white becomes solid at 60ºC.
- Egg yolk becomes solid and will eventually become dry as it coagulates at 70ºC.
- Syneresis results in over-coagulation of egg protein.
- Protein in wheat is called gluten.